FHRacing team 2 cropped

All things Faulkner Honda Racing...

Monday, August 15, 2005

Carney Takes 2nd at Wollet

Mike Carney headed up to the Dave Wollet Memorial Criterium in Williamsport, PA on Sunday. He was the lone FHR rider in the event, but still brought home a great 2nd place.

Carney's Report:
For the Category 3/4 race, it was pretty much Brian Smith (World Cup) and I at the front the whole time. After 15 laps a couple of World Cup guys took a flyer with Brian and I on the front. We caught them going through the 3rd corner and just rode through them. It was Brian, a Dutch Wheelman, a SBRT rider and me. There were a bunch of SBRT guys in the race along with World Cup and they were massed at the front. With them blocking, we just rode away. I had to keep encouraging the SBRT guy to stay with us since he had a whole team behind us blocking. With 6 to go, the Dutch Wheelman and SBRT guys were having a hard time staying with us. We waited for the SBRT guy, but he came off for good with 5 laps to go. It was Brian and I alone to the end of the race and Brian took me pretty easy for the sprint.

As for the 1/2/3 race, it was immediately after the 3/4 race. I had 3 water bottles for the race and 15 miles into it I had them done - and still had 20 more miles to go. During the race I was on the wheel of Mike Miller when he made his winning attacks - I mean "attacks" as Mike Miller and Joe Papp's teammate lapped the field TWICE. Other guys also broke away from the field, but I could only watch them go. I just hung on the back and tried to not think of water. With 10 laps to go I saw Sez sitting in the shade drinking some Gatorade talking to a smoking Red head. That just about did it for me, but I stuck it out and w/ two laps to go Sez yells at me that I could still get in a money spot. I was just holding on for dear life as they wound it up on the back stretch - I just held on to finish 19th. I felt like hell the whole way home - until I got some of Patti's food in me at Peters' Pub. With 100+ temps, it definitely wasn't a good race to run out of water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home